Today the defense filed yet another motion to move the trial out of Phoenix. They said a fair and Impartial jury can’t be found in Maricopa County due to the “plethora of unrestrained and bombastic coverage of the previous proceedings.” Sounds like Kirk Nurmi is on a mission to add more ‘pennies to his kettle’ (Juan Martinez quote). Other recent motions include wanting the Twitter account info of the jurors and restricting cameras in the court. Hopefully these motions, and the date of the retrial of the penalty phase will be addressed on September 16. I won’t hold my breathe.
In court this morning judge Stephens once again pushed back the date to set a retrial for the penalty phase- it is now set for September 16th. Apparently the judge wants to read over the motions first. The motions are about getting the Twitter handles of the jurors and not allowing cameras in the courtroom. According to Jeffrey Gold, esq., the Twitter request may be allowed but to eliminate the cameras would “Be acknowledging error.” As usual we will have to wait and see.
(Thanks to Twitter- @jeffgoldesq and @WildAboutTrial for the info)
Jodi’s Defense Attorneys have filed more motions regarding keeping cameras out of the courtroom. They cite the death threats aimed at their witnesses as the problem. (Though, if you recall, the lovely ‘Pot-Head Patti’ admitted there were no death threats.). They also want to get the twitter addresses of the jurors to make sure they are not manipulated by media- they imply that the alternate juror, Tara K., was on Twitter during the trial. From what I saw of her account I believe she started it AFTER the trial. She was new to Twitter. (Of course, as we all know Jodi is on Twitter). Oh, and of course, they still want to delay the rest of this trial. Will it ever end? Stay tuned–we have her in court this coming Monday morning at 8:30 a.m. Arizona time! Here is a link to the article, provided by my favorite Twitter source- @WitchyTweets (thanks!): http://www.kpho.com/story/22848146/judge-sets-another-hearing-before-penalty-phase-of-jodi-arias-trial
Today Judge Stephens denied the motion to toss the Death Penalty in the Arias murder case. Remember the defense had a problem with the language ‘especially cruel?’ Well, it didn’t work. We are now waiting on the August 26th hearing to set a start date for the penalty phase of the trial. Arias has already been convicted of first degree murder in the brutal killing of Travis Alexander. That jury was unable to reach a verdict on her penalty. In the following link (article from Arizona paper) they mention the judge wants to begin the Penalty Phase in September. I hope she sticks to it!
At this morning’s hearing the judge set yet another date (August 26 at 8:30) for yet another status hearing. She did indicate that she wants the trial to begin in late September. We will have to wait (again) and see…
Not much going on- I have decided to skip the Zimmerman trial- it’s too divisive. Plus I am taking an on-line class right now…
The hearing for Arias motions is in 8 days…I am guessing they will postpone the trial AGAIN! I just hope it’s in October or something, not next year! I feel terrible for the Alexanders.
The Sneiderman case is coming (I think July 28). This is going to be good!! Andrea Sneiderman had her boss, Hemy Neuman (who we believe she was having an affair with) kill her husband Rusty. Hemy went to trial for the crime- Andrea testified in his trial and was defiant on the stand. Hemy ended up in jail. So she hooked up with her OTHER boyfriend, Joseph Dell!!! Well her husband was dead and her lover in jail so what’s a girl to do?
The status conference and Motion to Continue Trial date has been re-set from July 18th to July 16th at 8:30 am. No word yet on whether there will be cameras allowed. (Link to the motion: https://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis). I am expecting Ms. Arias to tweet that this was her decision…
The defense has filed 2 new motions- one to vacate death eligibility and the second to vacate the aggravating factor. One of the primary reasons cited in the motions by the defense is the use of the word ‘especially’ in the phrase: “especially heinous.” Nurmi contends that use of that word implies the statue was designed for a judge, not a jury. He said that ‘layperson jurors’ are left to ‘muddle through’ the definition with a defendant’s life in the balance. Maricopa County Attorney called this a standard procedural move: “Those are defense attorneys doing their job advocating for their client,” Montgomery said Wednesday. “Obviously, we disagree.”
So here’s the latest tweets from our favorite murderer:
2 days ago:
1. ‘To all those worrying who is tweeting for me NO IT IS NOT DONAVAN. Thank you.’ (She thinks we still care because she is so very important.)
2. ‘For the last 3 nites, Estrella’s kitchen served dinner in Styrofoam containers to nearly 2,000 ppl per nite. Sorry, planet.’ (An attempt to prove she really does care about that recycling idea though her allocution was the one and only time we ever heard she even cared.)
3. ‘Let’s clear up any confusion. Anyone asking 4 donation$ right now on my behalf 4 my appeals is not legit.’ (People are trying to rip me off!)
4. ‘I’m not currently accepting donations 4 appeals. Just don’t know yet if I will plea or appeal.’ (I am in control of this whole show.)
5. (Re-tweet from @Geraldo Rivera): ‘Am I the only one who thinks Nancy Grace’s relentless cheer leading for Jodi Aria’s Death gross and excessive? The anchor as executioner?!’ (I hate Nancy Grace!)
6. ‘I drew a bighorn sheep, now at JodiArias.com. These are beautiful animals native to the Southwestern United States.’ (I’m a fantastic artist and you should buy this.)
1 day ago:
1. ‘Please don’t send any photos I’m not allowed to receive them. MCSO;s website is misleading.’ (I’m so popular that I have to stop all my fans from sending me stuff.)
2. My friend Griz wrote me and posed an interesting Q: “Why do people find it so easy to hate and so hard to love?” (My imaginary friend is trying to get all you haters to stop.)