Nurmi started the morning with these main themes: Arias becomes whatever her men want, this verdict is your moral choice, and her fate is in your hands (the jury’s). Some other points made by Nurmi:
1. Jodi is mentally ill. (He brought this up repeatedly).
2. Travis was a sociopath who used Jodi for sex.
3. Travis was sexual before Jodi (with Deanna) and (allegedly) used porn. This caused a struggle within regarding his religious beliefs.
4. Jodi was his dirty little secret.
5. Travis was seeing other women at the same time as Jodi.
6. Travis called Jodi “soulless”, “whore”, “slut”, “three-hole wonder.” Then the next day he would “love” her.
7. Jodi claims physical violence. Nurmi states Dr. DeMarte “…stepped out of her league.”
8. Puts down Dr. DeMarte for implying the violence didn’t happen because no one saw it. He brings up the Ray Rice video and how it (the violence) was much worse after the video was seen.
9. Nurmi asks why the relationship ended the way it did–because of Travis.
10. Jodi’s other relationships ended peacefully.
11. Travis said he feared Jodi then had her over at his house.
12. Nurmi goes into the porn videos and then the video with Jodi where he had her in braids.
After lunch- Nurmi is still up:
1. He reviews what he said in the morning.
2. Three Doctors (with over 30 years experience) said she had PTSD while Dr. DeMarte (with one years experience) said she didn’t.
3. More on her mental illness. It took a long time for her to admit what she did because she couldn’t imagine doing that to another human.
4. Jodi is remorseful.
5. Nurmi is reading Jodi’s secret testimony and when addressing the Alexander family they get up and walk out.
6. Nurmi puts up a picture of Jodi as a young girl and asks if they kill a girl who grew up under horrifc events.
7. Nurmi puts up slides of ‘happy’ Travis and Jodi and ends urging the jury not to do it (kill her).
After Nurmi ends the Alexanders return, there is some confusion, Jodi is crying so recess continues. Now there’s an issue with a juror.
After Break: Juan is up:
1. He quotes Nixon regarding the men that landed on the moon (Apollo 11) and then says stories Jodi told were fairy tales.
2. Juan says the sex act with pictures of boys is not true.
3. Travis suffered and the jury are duty bound to accept her conviction and the aggravating factors of especially cruel killing.
4. Juan is putting up the horrific photos of Travis saying he did suffer.
5. He brings up Jodi’s suidcie attempt where she stopped because the cut from a razor was too painful. How painful where all the wounds to Travis?
6. Juan says the case is about murder, not masturbation.
7. He says experts can be wrong.
8. Juan says she is so remorseful she made up a story about Travis masturbating to a child’s pic.
9. He points out no physical abuse was in her diary. Even the day after he ‘broke her finger.’
10. Jodi told Abe she was “dabbling in Mormonism.”
11. He points out how unprofessional Geffner was (in calling Dr. DeMarte ‘asinine’).
12. Juan says it’s unbelievable that when Jodi was being choked she would sit back and say “I don’t want to hurt him.”
13. Geffner did not do his own work.
14. Jodi is the only source for all this info.
15. Juan asks the jurors not to be blinded by her lies.
16. Defense objects (for the 4th time- Juan never objected Nurmi).
Back to Juan:
1. Juan recaps.
2. He shows the Abe letter that has no e-mail address on it. Trying to manipulate Travis.
3. Jodi knew about Lisa so Travis wasn’t cheating. And if he was then she was too.
4. Going over testing and how Jodi lied.
5. She was diagnosed with PTSD on an event that never happened.
6. Brings up all her lies again.
7. Text from travis about the porn shoot is fraudulent,
8. Juan shows her coded message from jail.
9. Juan tells jury they are not supposed to consider Travis’ character, just Jodi’s.
10. Tells jurors to look at her character, record and history. Accuses defense of trying to distract them.
11. Dr. DeMarte said there was no domestic violence.
12. Juan continues to blast Dr. Geffner.
13. He is going over mitigating factors saying there is nothing to corroborate them.
14. He brings up the e-m’s and calls after Travis was dead.
15. They both enjoyed the sex, there was no abuse. If there’s no abuse there’s no PTSD.
16. Juan brings up how despite her age she had many boyfriends and jobs, was mature and smart.
17. She manipulated the psych test.
18. Having Borderline Personality Disorder does not give you an excuse –Nurmi objects.
19. He addresses another mitigator- her child hood of abuse- Juan says she left the house not because of abuse but because she was grounded. He says she was spoiled.
20. Juan says Jodi isn’t remorseful.
21. Juan puts up the slashed neck picture, then Jodi as a child.
22. He mentions impact statements from family- will never see/hear him again.
23. Juan closes with: “Do your duty and return a verdict of death.”
We are done for the day. Jury is gone and people in the court are saying they can hear the sisters crying in the victim room.