At this morning’s hearing the judge set yet another date (August 26 at 8:30) for yet another status hearing. She did indicate that she wants the trial to begin in late September. We will have to wait (again) and see…
Tag Archives: hearing
Arias Hearing Tomorrow Update
The hearing has been moved from 8:30 to 10:30. Thanks to @WitchyTweets (Twitter) for the update!
Arias Date Moved Up
The status conference and Motion to Continue Trial date has been re-set from July 18th to July 16th at 8:30 am. No word yet on whether there will be cameras allowed. (Link to the motion: https://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis). I am expecting Ms. Arias to tweet that this was her decision…
Jodi Has A Boyfriend?
Rumors are being spread about a male sitting next to Jodi’s Mom blowing kisses and winking at Jodi.
Here’s the scoop and the people giving us the inside look-
@josemcyntire: Any chance you saw the Romeo wooing Jodi Arias in court today?
@tarakelley320: yep he sat in the family row by her mom right in front of me.
@katiecoolady: It was a young male with a dramatic striped hairstyle-never saw him before.
*Jose McYntire is awesome. He is sharp as a tack and often gets the scoop before anyone else. You should follow him.
*Tara Kelley was an alternate juror and has been featured on HLN many times.
*Katie is a blogger who is in court and often featured on WebSleuths. Her sister Cindy was murdered.
Twitter: @maryellenabc15: Mystery man blowing #jodiarias kisses & winks will remain a mystery. Due to Judge’s orders 2 seal deputies can only say his name is Johnny. (From the ‘justice4travis’ page- link: https://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis)
Commentor- Tara Harris (from Justice4travis page):
I’ve never seen him before and at one point security was talking to him. He did blow her kisses.
Texas trial watcher:
mom and a male friend escorted to the back of the room, like maybe they tried to make contact or something….finally getting the convicted killer treatment!! (From the ‘Love for Juan’ facebook page- link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-for-JUAN/536593039731786)
Katiecoolady (Kathy Monkman) later indicated on Websleuths.com that he was kicked out of court.
By the way- did anyone notice the miracle? Jodi no longer seems to need glasses! (Unless there is a jury present??)
Jodi In Chains
Here is a play by play of what happened in court today via Twitter:
-In the courtroom at the Jodi Arias trial. Many of the usual faces are here in the spectator section. Media is rather thin. I see Tara Kelley and some other jurors in the gallery. Nurmi and Willmott just went back into chambers. Jodi Arias is not in the courtroom yet. Juan is here…Det. Flores just arrived. Just to remind everyone, this will not be live streamed and most of the hearing will be held in chambers and sealed. Jodi just came in wearing her gray prison striped outfit with salmon socks. Jodi Arias was just escorted back by the well armed sheriff’s deputies. She is in chambers now. These guys are scary looking.
@Chriswnews: Never seen a Jodi Arias escort like this. Arias walked to chambers her shackles making a racket. Arrives in chains surrounded by what appears to be an MCSO SWAT team.
@WildAboutTrial: Willmott just bolted out of chambers and smiled at Flores and Juan, she is getting something from her desk and heading back in. No sign of Travis’ family, just supporters.
@chriswnews: Was told Travis Alexander aunt the only family member expected in the gallery. Sis Samantha to attend via phone. Family civil attorney here.
@WildAboutTrial: Looks like other attorneys here for other trials. Nurmi, Willmott and Jodi Arias are still back in chambers. Flores and Juan continue to semi-reclinate and laugh while they chat. The courtroom is full of chatter. Flores and Juan were just summoned back into chambers. Everyone is coming out of chambers. Jodi Arias has full umbrella bangs and makes a clanking noise as she walks. She went to her room.
@maryellenabc15: Jodi Arias is walked back through court to her holding cell…she is shackled, handcuffed and in jail stripes. Jail SWAT is guarding her.
@WildAboutTrial: The armed sheriff seems to be clearing Jodi Arias’ table. She is brought out now and is sitting down. There are 4 fully armed sheriff deputies here to keep an eye on Jodi Arias. These are some serious deputies. Wow. Jodi Arias is sitting with the DP mitigation specialist whispering. Sheriffs haven’t left her side. Jodi Arias did not seem to have a smile on her face, looked rather tired. Attorneys are back. Judges Stephens is present and addressing the court now. Court is deferring the ruling on the motion to delay the trial until July 18. The hearing is over.
@tarakelley320: Seeing Jodi in shackles was totally worth being at the courthouse today!!!
Jurors Back In Court
Both Tara Kelley and Marilou Allen said on the Dr. Drew show tonight that they will be in court for Thursday’s hearing. They both said they are ‘still invested’ and want to ‘see this through.’ Tara was an alternate but Marilou was in on the deliberations. Marilou said the jury went into deliberations (on the Murder 1 charge) without preconceived notions and debated the felony and the premeditation aspects of the case. She also mentioned the ‘sheer brutality of the murder, underscored by Dr. Horn’s testimony.’ When asked about the defense’s asking for a delay Tara said it was ‘ridiculous.’
Both women are still approached by friends and people in the community to talk about the case. They are slowly getting back to their lives.
The hearing this Thursday (8:30 AZ time) should address the delay request. It will not be live streamed but the pool and still cameras will be there.
Arias Status Conference
Scheduled for June 20th at 8:30. From the Maricopa County Website (link below):
Media Relations Department >High Profile List High Profile List Results
|Court date:||6/20/2013 @ 8:30||Case #:||CR2008-031021|
|Case event:||Status Conference||Camera ruling:||Need Request|
|Judge:||Sherry Stephens||Prosecutor:||Juan Martinez|
|Defendant:||Jodi Ann Arias||Defense attorney:||Kirk Nurmi/Jennifer Willmott|
Jury hung on penalty phase of trial. New jury will need to be selected. Found guilty of 1st degree murder. Ex-girlfriend charged with the murder of former boyfriend Travis Alexander in Mesa.
I did hear on Websleuths that cameras would be there, but this says no one has requested them yet. Hopefully the judge will not allow the defense to push this trial into next year! Here is the link:
Defense Files Another Motion
5/7/2013- Motion for discovery – Party (001) 5/8/2013
Note: Defendant’s Motion For Discovery Of Victim Impact Statement.
Apparently the defense (party 001) wants to know what the victims will have to say in advance, should there be a verdict. I have never heard of this. An attorney on Websleuths said that by statute the victim does not have to pre-disclose these statements. I expect there will be a hearing soon.
Apparently the defense is trying to stop the prosecution from calling their remaining rebuttal witnesses. The remaining witnesses are:
1. Suzie Dittman, regarding JA’s bank accounts.
2. Detective Robert Brown -I believe to retrieve photos from JA’s camera proving she was a blond right before the murder. (So she did dye her hair to be less recognizable).
3. Dr. Kevin Horn, the medical examiner. Apparently to remind the shot was last.
4. Detective Flores- the main detective on this case who sits beside JM in court. He may come in to prove the shelf JA said she stepped on to get the gun could not have supported JA’s weight.
I am waiting (impatiently) as they announced the hearing would be live-streamed at 11, then that was cancelled, and now according to ‘Wild About Trial” they may show it ?!!
Arias Trial Summary 4/15
Hearing Motions (no jury present)
- Grace Wong from In Session takes the stand. She is asked about whether she recognizes the faces of the jurors – she does. They show the story with JM taking pics and signing one autograph. She did not see any jurors present.
- Next up is Bryan Neumeister- a video/audio expert. Nurmi goes through his credentials. They bring up the picture of Travis’ face in the shower. He has enlarged it so that he claims he can see JA standing with both hands on the camera a few feet away (and no knife). The picture has lines drawn in by Neumeister to make the image clearer. He says it looks better in his lab. JM says he sees a dog and the picture is subjective. Nurmi claims it proves JA was telling the truth. JM doesn’t want the pic with the lines drawn in – let the jurors figure it out. He says it is unreliable. Judge will rule on later.
- Next issue- Nurmi brings up Prosecutorial Misconduct. Claims JM has bullied witnesses and deprived JA of a fair trial. He says it’s a cumulative issue, including the Fan Club. He refers to JM as: “The Great one.” JM says it was 1 incident out of view of jury. He says Nurmi wants to connect that with the social media. JM points out Wong saw nothing and they are just wasting the courts time, everyone except the defense who gets more money (implied). Judge rejects the motion as it didn’t affect the jury.
- Next issue- Nurmi claims that JM attacked LaViolette and bullied Dr. Samuels (also called Dr. Samuels ‘Mr. Samuels’ – degrading him). He plays a tape from closed proceedings where JM and Samuels go at it over the new exhibits- the Power Point, the Instrumental vs. Expressive (pre-med vs. not pre-med), the Time magazine article and the Brain pic. Things heat up when Dr. S. says: “… even a blind person can run the bases.” You can hear the attornies and Dr. Samuels arguing loudly. Nurmi asserts JM was intimidating the witness. JM states the proceedings were not in front of the jury and the judge was present at these proceedings. He also says LaViolette had a reason to be upset because of what was revealed. He points to the fact the Defense brought all this new evidence in the eve of the trial- no disclosure, a clear violation. He says the defense was arguing the loudest in the tape. There was no impact on their testimony. JM states the attempt to make the state responsible for the media (which they have no control of) is ridiculous when JA is actually ‘fanning the flames’ by being on Twitter through Donovan B. She is breaking the courts rule and discussing the case- even putting down the Prosecutor (his height). He wants her to desist. Nurmi says JM is trying to take the focus off himself by pointing the finger at the defendant. Twitter ‘doesn’t change the game.’ The Judge says: “There is a fine line between zealous advocacy and unethical conduct.” She says both were outside of the presence of the jury and no evidence was affected. There is no basis for a mistrial. She states: “The prosecutor was not in any way outside the bounds of proper behavior.” Regarding the Tweets from jail- Nurmi wants proof, a motion in writing and sites freedom of speech. JM doesn’t want to investigate this as he might be called intimidating again. The judge says it is a matter for the Sheriff.
- There is a closed-door hearing being held with Alyce LaViolette. I am guessing it has to do with her approaching Samantha, Travis’ sister. Apparently after trashing Travis, Alyce went up to Sam and said something like: “It’s not personal.” I am now getting rumors that this could also be about perjury. Also- Chris Stark tweets that: “Alyce to testify about discussing her testimony – rule break –in chamber today 1:15.” That is news to me. It is 2:25 as I write this.
- 3:14- The jury comes in. The Judge tells them that there is a stipulation: That when the picture of Travis that was taken in the shower at 5:29:20 (his face) JA was not holding a knife or gun. The jury is then dismissed and court recessed for the day.