- The hearings this morning were closed. The defense has made motions to keep out several prosecution witnesses. My previous post (on mixedbagblog.wordpress.com) has this info.
- The judge goes over the schedule: Tomorrow starts at 9:30 and goes for ‘a little while.’ The next court day will be Wednesday, May 1 starting at 9 and going ‘until we finish.’ Final jury instructions will be Thursday, May 2 and closing arguments will be Thursday and Friday. The case will then go to the jury. (Arizona juries do not deliberate over the weekend.)
- JM starts by playing the DVD where JA is in Travis’ lap. This time it’s the longer version- you can see her sit up. There is no sound.
- Robert Brown- Mesa Computer Forensics detective. There are 3 photos of JA with dark brown hair shown from her helio phone dated June 3, 2008. JM also shows a previous picture with her blonde hair- I saw no date. The Walmart receipt was after these photos. Nurmi questions the time of the photos- Brown says the phone records where it is taken at the time taken.
- Det. Flores is up. He brings in many photos of Travis’s shelving from the closet (where the gun supposedly was). He set these up in March 2013. The shelf is 7 feet tall. He proves the shelves were ‘floating’ on 4 pins. One exhibit (which the live feed didn’t show) describes his hand pushing the shelf down. JM asks if there was any nudity in the “Harder Faster Stronger” video- Flores says: “No.” Nurmi asks if he measured every shelf. (He didn’t – he actually says: “There was no need” and Nurmi says: “Did I ask you if there was a need?”) He asks Flores about JA’s high IQ (?) then he says over and over while pointing out different shelves- ‘JA didn’t say the gun was here?’ Flores: “No.”
- Nurmi asks Flores if the Hughes said Travis was ‘addicted to Jodi’ –JM objects. (Sustained). Nurmi asks if Flores said in his interview with 48hrs that ‘something provoked Ms. Arias at the end’ –JM objects and there is a recess. Nurmi asks if he investigated how the shelf would react to weight as it is resting on dividers- Flores: “No, I did not.”
Jury Questions and Answers: (paraphrased)
1. Any record of a gun owned by Travis? No.
2. Any significance to measuring every shelf? No.
3. Any shoes out of place when you arrived on the scene? Nothing appeared out of place.
4. Did Travis’ roommates ever own a gun? No, they did not.
5. What’s the width of the end shelf unit where the gun was? Shelves were 36-38” long, 16” deep and ¾” wide.
6. Jodi said she helped Travis put things in the attic- did you find anything? No.
7. Was the attic capable of storing boxes? There are just beams…maybe if light.
8. Can you tell was anything ever stored in the attic? No.
9. Where’s the entrance to the attic? Closet.
10. Jodi’s weight, height, shoe size? Don’t know shoe, height 5’5”-5’6”, weight 115-120.
11. Are the pins round the entire length? Yes.
12. Were there any signs of a gun at Travis’ house? None whatsoever.
13. Any empty boxes/containers in Travis’ closet for gun? No.
14. If JA stood with arms straight up did you measure how tall to her fingertips? No I did not.
No follow up by Martinez.
Nurmi goes over:
- Arizona doesn’t require guns to be registered.
- Shelves free float and go back in place.
- The attic has more than just the entrance in Travis’ closet.
- He asks Flores if someone told him there was nothing stored in the attic. Flores- ‘yes.’ Nurmi then says something like: ‘you know because someone told you…just like Dr. Horn.’ (He is referencing that Flores misunderstood the Dr. when he said that the gunshot was last).
- JA’s grandma, the one she was living with at the time of the killing is in court today.
Court is in recess until tomorrow at 9:30.