- Dr. Horn, the Medical Examiner is up. If the gunshot was first it would have been immediately incapacitating. Travis could have gone a step or two and then lost consciousness in seconds. JM shows many of the autopsy pics including the throat slash. The Dr. says after the shot there would be no holding onto someone, no attempt to defend, no grabbing at the knife or raising of his hands (his hands have defensive wounds), no crawling away, no walking to the sink, and no walking down the hallway.
- Willmott establishes the Dr. has done over 6000 autopsies, many gun shot wounds. A 25 caliber gun is not that powerful, the bullet didn’t exit as it was stopped by bone. Also he was shot from a few feet away- so even less force. She gets him to say it wasn’t immediately fatal- but was immediately incapacitating. A shot to the face can make you bleed through the nose. She tries to get the Dr. to say he told Detective Flores that the bullet would not have been immediately incapacitating. He doesn’t recall saying that. She points out he did say something to that effect in testimony- he admits he did but immediately corrected in the very next statement. Willmott tries to get him to say there was no injury to the brain and he says that you can’t see it because of decomp but that it is ‘simple geometry’ the path the bullet took. The knife wound to the vena cava is from below- Willmott points out- so from someone shorter.
Jury Questions: (paraphrased)
1. If shot and bleeding from the nose and mouth wouldn’t there be blood on the bathroom floor? Yes.
2. Could you be mistaken that Travis could still ambulate (after the shot)? No.
3. Is there any way Travis could have still moved well? If the bullet had not passed through his brain.
4. How do you know he was still alive when his throat was cut? The amount of hemorrhage requires a beating heart.
5. How many cases have you had with a 25 caliber gun? At least 100-200.
1. If the bullet was the first wound would it be immediately incapacitating? Yes.
2. Is there any situation where a bullet goes through the frontal lobe and you are ambulatory for several minutes? Only if you were already walking and took a step or two.
3. If you are shot and already on the ground could you get up and walk around? No.
1. If still alive when the knife wound was made there would be quite a bit of blood in the hallway? Yes, an injury of some kind happened there.
2. The gunshot went from right downwards to the cheek? It could be deflected.
3. With the neck wound within seconds he would not be able to hold up his head? Yes.
4. After the neck wound he would have been lying flat? Depends on where they are (he gives example of if in a chair they might stay up).
***According to Chris Stark on Twitter the judge has excused juror #8. He is described as the ‘Dad’ type with a goatee who took lots of notes. Jurors are asked to be back on Wednesday, May 1 at 9. We expect the Defense surrebuttal witness Dr. Robert Geffner that day. He is an editor for Alyce DeLaviolette and works in domestic violence. Vinnie Politan just tweeted they brought a bomb sniffing dog in today!
About Vinnie reporting a bomb threat, did you mean they threatened the court or HLN?
The court claims they run the dog through every day just ran late that day. According to Beth Karas and others they have never seen that before.
Can I please be a “Fly” on the wall, I promise not to bite Jodi’s nose off.