- JM calls Jacob Mefford, a friend and co-worker of Travis’. Jacob confirms that Travis was affectionate with Jodi in public on several occasions. They show a short clip of Travis talking with JA lying on his lap. There is no sound. JA begins to cry in court. Next is a picture of JA in a robe with Travis kissing her on the back of her head.
- Nurmi is up – he implies Jacob didn’t see them that often. Jacob did not know they were having sex.
- JM calls Amanda Webb, IT specialist from Walmart. They go through a list of cash registers and determine there were no gas cans returned June 3.
- Nurmi has no questions for this witness.
- A juror asks about a possible way to have a ‘dummy skew’ (item #) and Amanda says Walmart must have the skew # that goes with that item. JM asks if there was no skew- Amanda says they could go get the exact item and use that skew #. Nurmi has no questions.
- JM calls Chelsea Young, Tesoro IT manager. She confirms there were 3 separate purchases for gas (1. For 10.67 gals. 2. For 5 gals. 3. For 9.58 gals.) from JA June 6th in Salt Lake City. Nurmi asks if you can pay cash inside and have no record of the transaction- she says: “Yes.” JM points out that JA used credit inside for Gas (he actually specifies: “No potato chips.”)
- JM calls Deanna Reid, long-term girlfriend of Travis. They met in 1998 and began dating in 2000. She went on a 1 1/2 year mission and towards the end they broke up as he wanted to date others. JM points out he did not go behind her back but wrote her a letter. When she returned they dated again for a few more years. She believed Travis to be a virgin. She confirms several times that Travis never raised his voice, swore or put his hands on her in a violent manner. She also never saw pictures of boys or girls and never saw any toys in his bedroom. When they finally broke (she wanted marriage; he wasn’t ready) up they both cried-no screaming or fighting. They remained friends until his death and she now has his dog ‘Napoleon’.
- Nurmi goes over the same relationship info JM went over. He tries to establish that she wanted marriage and was heartbroken about the breakup- she says she was not. Travis was not ready. He mentions Travis dated a woman named Linda Ballard (sp) when they were split the first time. Nurmi: “He never yelled or hit you?” Deanna- ‘that’s right.’
- Nurmi establishes they did have a sexual relationship. Deanna makes it clear they had been dating a long time and were only human and knew it was wrong. They both told their respective Bishops and never had sex after that.
- She reads a text from Travis to the Hughes about Travis doing something ‘unpardonable’ to her. She interprets that as him not getting married to her and her then having less prospects because of her age.
- Nurmi gets in a bunch of the nasty things Travis did with JA- write a letter to another guy to get rid of him, wear a maid’s uniform, call a slut, whore, ejaculate on face…Deanna and Travis did none of those things. Nurmi makes the comment: “It must have been a different relationship than with Ms. Arias.”
- Nurmi asks about Travis’ upbringing. She says it was rough. He gets in they were drug addicts and Travis was neglected. Deanna says there were some good times with the Mom, and Travis was proud of his Dad for getting clean.
- **When asked if Mom or Dad were physically abusive to Travis Deanna says: “No.”
- Nurmis asks if Travis thought her being a teacher was ‘stupid.’ She says no- he was very supportive. Nurmi mentions Travis said this to Lisa, he says something to the effect of ‘Two different relationships I guess.’
- JM points out their relationship was not based on sex and they both told the Bishops everything. Travis didn’t call her names. Deanna does not know the nature of JA and Travis’ relationship- like who initiated the sex acts like JA wanting him to ejaculate on her face. He also did not lie to her about marriage. When the relationship was over Travis never attempted to see her and ask her for sex. Deanna says: “He was always a gentleman.”
- Juror questions- they want to know about the Law of Chastity and how it is taught. Deanna says it is widely known and taught in classes. JM asks if there is any ‘wiggle room’ with sex and she says ‘no.’ Nurmi then asks if taking a picture of a penis is a violation- she says she doesn’t know, but in her opinion it is. He then asks about close up pictures of a women’s vagina being a violation- Deanna says yes, then Nurmi asks the same question re- a woman’s anus and she says ‘yes.’
10. Michael Melendez the computer forensic expert is up. JM asks him if he went over everything – he says ‘yes.’ JM asks if there were tons of pics of women’s breasts- there were none. He asks about women’s lower regions (pics) there were none. No adult sites or images of children were found. Nurmi says there was more than 1 computer seized as well as CD’s, flashdrives etc. This laptop was in Travis’ office and registered to Deanna. He talks about cookies the expert prefers to look at the history. Nurmi mentions the titles of some of the you tube videos looked at: ‘Drunk, Def, Punk,’ ‘Daft Hands.’ There was access to the computer at 4:24 pm on June 4th. JM mentions the ‘Harder, Faster, Stronger’ video and asks if he would have noted in his report if there were any nudity. He says ‘yes.’ The last access on June 4th could have been Travis or JA.
11. A juror asks if there was any electronics seized with porn, naked women or children’s photos on it. There was not any on any items related to Travis.
12. A juror asks if not all of the pics on the camera were deleted. That is correct. They specify the ones deleted (like after the killing) and ask what were left. There were more than 90 photos left.
Court begins at 1:30 tomorrow.